Saturday, 17 September 2016

Jo's Big Birthday Blog Hop!

Our dear friend Jo of Serendipitous Stitching is celebrating a big birthday today.  Many happy returns Jo!  In her own unique style, she is marking the day with a blog hop with a difference.  If you head over to Jo's blog, you will see a list of the blogs taking part.  Reading the blogs in order will give you a history of Jo's life so far!

You can read here about this year in Jo's life...


In 1984 Jo was 18 years old.  She was studying 'A' levels in the Sixth Form at school, having passed 'AO' level Maths in the summer.  She continued to work after school and on Saturdays in a fruit and veg shop in town.  Her hobbies were listening to rock music, going to the local rock club and going to concerts with her friends.  She also continued to work on the drama productions at school with the Dracula Spectacular being the highlight of the Sixth Form.

I was 12 years old in 1984 and just starting to really listen to music.  Unlike Jo however, I liked pop music and especially the Top 40 chart on the radio every Sunday evening.  This was the year I was given my first record player, with a turntable that skipped if anyone walked near to it!

1984 was a great year for pop music - though in researching this post I found that Black Lace's Agadoo was the 6th best selling record of the year, so maybe not.

Some of my personal favourites from this year would have been Howard Jones' "What is Love?" (the first single I bought), Prince's "When Doves Cry" and "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell.  But seeing as Jo was a rock fan, I've chosen this one for you to enjoy...

Jump by Van Halen

This was also the year that the original Ghostbusters film was released, and of course who could forget the Christmas number 1 for that year...


Jo I hope you have a wonderful birthday and I wish you many happy years of stitching and blogging ahead!





Justine

25 comments:

  1. Great choice of song Justine, I too am a Rock fan, heavier than Van Halen in my case!
    I love your Dragon stitching,gorgeous colours and reading what you were up to in 1984:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song! I am also pretty sure that the 45 of Do They Know It's Christmas is somewhere at my parents' house....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many memories in common here! Great post Justine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!Love your song choices and your stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking part in the Birthday Blog Hop. I remember listening to the charts on my Sony Walkman during my lunchbreak at school! Van Halen weren't a particular favourite band but I did see them at Donington in 1984 so a very suitable choice!
    Love your red dragon, another perfect choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Justine. Jo will love the red dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Justine! Loved the video, and your stitching! Nice to learn more about Jo, and yourself!
    Barbara x (my year on Jo's blog hop is 2011)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The music, the movie, great!
    Of course the dragon is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But did you tape the charts on an old tape recorder lol, that's what happened in my bedroom in my teenage years. Great write up for Jo's big day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to read more about Jo and you - good music choices b the way. Love the dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great post about Jo and you! A good design choice to share also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny how we seem to start out with pop! Or at least that has been my experience with music too. Now I listen to all sorts of weirdness. :) Great choice of stitch for Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Justine! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and fun to learn a little more about you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! It is fun learning more about everyone on this blog hop around Jo's life!
    Love your dragon! :o)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great reading what Jo did in that year as it was a special year for me too, as I entered University that year to become an English teacher. YOu see Jo and I have the same age!Great post.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Jump" was one of my favorite songs - I had a One Year Old than - and two little boys, we played that song constantly. Your stitched piece is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm hopping along on the blog hop. What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Love your dragon of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Enjoyed details on her and yours too! Good times. I still recall, Do they know it's Christmas featured the most popular British artists at the time. My older sister convinced me to share the expense on buying Spandau Ballet record! Poor child idolizing her sister, gave my Christmas cash gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a wonderful blog hop giving us the chance to get to know Jo and her followers so much better. So many different styles of music in the eighties but I have always been a heavy rock music lover.
    That dragon bookmark is so perfect for Jo's birthday post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was nice to learn more about Jo and you, too. : ) Even though I was a bit older in 1984, we share similar taste in music. Love the red dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am slowly hopping through the birthday blog posts. I enjoyed reading your lovely post. This is such a nice thing to be involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post about Jo and you! Sounds like it was a great year for both of you.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Considering I'm already on a one cross-stitch project only this SAL is perfect for me. Although I'll be having a slight change and add 1 knitting project only too (for when I can't stitch) if it's ok :)

    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete