Friday, 2 January 2015

First finish of 2015 and Debbie's Crazy January Challenge Days 1 and 2

Happy New Year!  I hope 2015 is a happy, healthy and peaceful one for all of us.

Back in December I signed up for a Joan Elliott Calendar SAL hosted by Mii Stitch, and am pleased to say I have completed the first chart!


It's not finish finished yet but I intend to do that next week so I can display it.  I'm aiming to complete the cross stitch for each of these before the start of each month (as the charts are on the back of each calendar page and I won't be able to use the calendar if I'm still stitching!)

Do you like the fabric, ribbon etc?  My elder son, aged 6, chose them for me.  He was meticulous about it and I had to laugh to myself when I saw him very seriously laying the ribbon against the robin's ice skates to see if it matched!  I love his choices and will definitely use his design services again!

I was a late entrant for the Crazy January Challenge in memory of SoCal Debbie who passed on suddenly in 2014, but have made great progress all the same.

Here's what I stitched yesterday, as you can see I was too busy stitching to blog!

The Wizard of Oz by The Little Stitcher

The cowardly lion just needs a red ribbon to tie that bit of his mane that is sticking up.  At the moment I think he looks puzzled!

This project was inspired by Debbie as I remember her buying it for stash, and she encouraged me to buy it.  I was thinking of her yesterday, as I'm sure many others were.  It was a comforting thought that many stitchers were coming together in her memory.

Today's project was also inspired by Debbie, as it's a Bothy Threads Cut Thru.  Debbie used to host Cut Thru Mondays with Linda, which is where I first saw these lovely kits and decided to have a try myself.  I've almost finished that first piece now, have another one on the go, and thought I would try this one for elder son..

And here's my progress for today...

In case you can't tell, it's the cone on the top of the rocket, surrounded by some flames/rays/whatever (can you tell engineering is not my strong point!) which are stitched in Supertwist metallic thread.  It hasn't really come out well in the photo as the light is very poor but the colours in this are very bright. I will take a better picture next time this one comes out!

I've seen many stitchers setting out their stitchy goals for 2015, well here are mine:
1. 15 new starts for DCJC - aim to finish all of them by the end of 2015
2. JEC SAL - stitch one a month
3. YOTA - one piece at a time, aim to finish my CJC2014 pieces first (no deadline for any of them)
4. Make some progress in reducing my pile of finished cross stitches which are not framed/finished and get them out on display or gift them
5. Comment on blogs as I read them rather than just reading and intending to come back later and comment because I never do!  We all love comments and it's so motivating to receive them.

I think these are achievable but one thing is for sure, I'm going to have fun trying!

Until next time

Justine

35 comments:

Linda said...

I loved stitching the Wizard of Oz last year - good luck with your stitching year.

Emma/Itzy said...

Congrats on your finish, and your son picked some great complimenting pretties to finish it off!

Hope you enjoy the 15 new starts again this year :) xx

Shirlee said...

A wonderful first finish of the year ... & your son did great with his finishing choices : )

Kate said...

The skating robin is so cute! I think it's a robin - robins here in Canada look totally different. :) Good luck with your stitchy goals.

Katie said...

Wohoo lots of beautiful X's in your post. Congrats on the finish. That calendar SAL is just too cute. Love your son's choices. Tell him some stranger from Indiana said Great Job! Good luck with your goals. You can do it!!

Chris said...

Lovely finish, your son did a great job picking out the finishing materials. Your lion does look confused.
It looks like a great plan for your 2015 stitching!
Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Congrats on the adorable finish Justine. I don't have the charts yet. Someone is sending them to me. I love your new starts. This is so much fun and I'm so happy you joined me as did many others.

Linda

Jan Gartlan said...

Great new starts. So true about commenting. I will try to do that too.

Jan Gartlan said...

Seeing your rocket reminds me I must get back to the BT pirate ship

Prairie Patch Quilts said...

Your little bird cross stitch is so cute and your son did great helping pick out the ribbon! Good luck with all your goals.

Rachel Tomkins said...

I agree with all the others that your son has a good eye for colour on a gorgeous finish.
Good luck with achieving your goals - they are certainly possible and I'll be egging you on!
Lovely choice of starts for the CJC too and so nice that they are projects that have additional meanings. :)

Annette-California said...

I love that your son helped you! How special is that! Great new starts. I'm in California so for me today is Jan 2nd daytime. I was surprised to learn you already got to post Day 2! Great stitching! This is really so much fun and love how we've all been thinking of Debbie and honoring her!
love Annette

Shebafudge said...

Woo...get you! What a lovely first finish of the year.

Mrs. GraceWorks said...

WooHoo, Justine! You are going to have some wonderful projects on the go!

Ruth said...

Oh, Justine--- You had to remind me of the Boothy rocket. I have that one and I just love it. Dang it I don't need another new start :)

Your son's careful choosing is to be applauded :)

Congrats on your Wizard of Oz progress and good luck with your goals.

Happy New Year!

homeschooljewelrymom said...

Amazing progress so far, Justine! Congrats on the finish. Love the new starts. Good luck with all your stitchy goals this year.

Barb said...

I am so impressed with your little guy's choices! All the WIPS look great and it will be fun to watch as they go.

Preeti said...

Congrats on the completed cross stitch! It's looking cute:) your new starts are looking great!! I have a similar situation with your 4th goal. There are many stitched items but not framed or made into something .

butterfly said...

Love your SAL well done looks beautiful , your son may become a designer tell him he made a excellent choice.

Brigitte said...

Oh my, this is so sweet. I love your first finish very much. If ever I see this issue of WOCS somewhere in the ONS that I visit I will order it and also stitch these little beauties.

Congratulations on your first two starts of Debbie's Crazy Challenge. And goofd luck with all your goals.

Sarah in Stitches said...

These are great starts! Congrats on the early finish too :D

Miamina said...

I love the little Joan Elliott designs, I too have the calendar but didn't want to commit to stitching them all! Well done on your first finish your SAL!

I love the cut-thru designs, they are so full of detail. I look forward to seeing the rocket grow!

Sarah L said...

That rocket is so cute. I bet my grandson would love it. Not sure I can start it this year but definitely on the wish list.

Neilteil said...

Both great starts! I especially love the cut thru. May have to source that one for my son too :)

Meari said...

All your projects looks great. I thought the lion was puzzled, too. lol Good luck with your 2015 goals.

Julie said...

Well done little chap, great choices for mums finish.
Debbie was such a lovely lady, her igloo always got me smiling, good luck with your cut thru'

Justine said...

Thank you Rachel, I'm replying here as I can't reply via email. I'm not sure all my goals are achievable but I'm going to have fun trying!

Justine said...

Go on Ruth, you know you want to! I think these kits are great quality and really fun to stitch.

Justine said...

There are some gorgeous Cut Thru kits Sarah, I'm stitching Cut Thru Pirate Ship too for my younger son.

Mii Stitch said...

I am so impressed with you sweetie!!! You've already finished the robin :) I will be working on it today.... Love your son's choices, it is promising to look wonderful xoxox

Loretta said...

Love the robin!!!! Wonderful finish!!! Your 2 starts are looking good!!!!!!

Suz said...

The small finish is adorable!
And I love the two starts - the Wizard of Oz piece looks like such fun!

Andrea said...

Wonderful finishes and starts. Love the choices your son made - I have a FQ of the fabric too so I know it's a beautiful design.

rosey175 said...

Oh the little robin is so cute and your son has great taste in color matching! Even the buttons are great! And the Bothy start is awesome; they're really fun to watch come to life. I think I would call those wiggles "static" since it's winter and I'm getting zapped at every doorknob anyway hah. :D

Stitching Noni said...

Fantastic starts! I love that your first couple of designs have been inspired by Debbie... she will be smiling down from up above while you stitch on these!
I have been trying to get hold of the JE calendar but as yet the magazine hasn't arrive in Australia... or else I have missed it (even when it does get here it most likely it won't have the freebie calendar....) I will instead watch you all stitch these gorgeous designs and drool!! :o)
hugs xx