Monday, 27 October 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Hi everyone

Two lovely stitchers, Sally of Stitchyangel's Treasures and Thoeria of My Little Corner of Cyberspace both asked if I would take part in the Around the World Blog Hop, so how could I refuse?  The mandatory questions don't really work for me so I thought I would just tell you a bit about how I became a stitcher and what I like to work on.

Summer 1987, age 15, the day after finishing my O-level exams, I was bored and had a bit of post-exam blues.  My mum gave me a needlepoint picture of some squirrels that she had been given as a gift but never opened, and suggested I tried it.  I think I ranted at her for a while about how boring it looked (isn't that what all teenagers do?) and then probably very sulkily decided to give it a go.

Over the next couple of years I completed two or three more needlepoint pieces.  I can vividly remember one with a cottage and some mountains.  I have no idea what happened to any of them (including the squirrel).

Then I discovered boys, and put the stitching aside until...

Valentine's Day 1990, I saw a picture of a cross-stitch kit of a Valentine's Day card in a magazine.  I went out and bought a similar kit and had to stay up into the wee small hours to finish it in time.  The boyfriend and I only lasted a few months after that, but I had a new hobby/obsession!

I have no idea how many pieces I've stitched since.  Cross stitching took a backseat throughout university but I can't think of a time since when I haven't had something on the go.  However, once I discovered the evil world of cross-stitch blogs in Summer 2013 I really became obsessed with stitching and blogging.

I love to stitch on lots of different types of projects, using various different fabrics and threads.  I rarely change the recommended threads though as I don't consider myself to be a creative person.

I currently have 14 WIPs (or Works in Progress) which can be seen on the WIP tab at the top of my blog.  Sometimes the number of projects I have on the go makes me feel a bit overwhelmed, but then I like changing projects for a bit of variety.

This week I plan on finishing this piece...
Decorating the Tree by Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe

and working on some minis as part of the Mega Mini Monthly Madness SAL hosted by Pull the Other Thread that I am taking part in, including this gorgeous dragon bookmark which will be a Christmas present for younger son (age 5).
Red Dragon bookmark by Dracolair Creations

Sadly I haven't been able to find anyone who would like to take up the baton and continue the blog hop.  If anyone is interested, please leave a comment below and I will email the details on.  If not, there are worse places for the blog to stop hopping!

Until next time

Justine

17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading more about you Justine , I also have many WIPS not telling how many but there is a large pile.
    Your stitching looks lovely .

    ReplyDelete
  2. your stitching is looking so sweetttttttttttttttttt
    big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for the intresting sory! It is so nice to get know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found these so interesting. It's fun learning more about this stitching community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to continue the blog hop - send me the information.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you're a no-reply blogger so I can't email you. Could you let me have your email address? I'd love to pass this on to you.

      Delete
  6. Lol Justine......I had a good chuckle at your discovery of boys and how one actually led you back to needlework!
    Yes.....the internet certainly has a lot to answer for when it comes to leading all us stichers with no discipline down the path of many WIPS and too much stash! :)
    Your dragon bookmark is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reading about you :)
    So glad you now have a blog to share your lovely work and make new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Justine -

    Enjoyed reading about how you started stitching. TFS.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello

    A lovely post and great stitching x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoyed reading about how you got started with your stitching.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very enjoyable read Justine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading how you got started. Reminds me of myself in some ways. Lol. I'm not 100% certain how this blog hop works, but I'd definitely be interested! Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you got started! It was pretty much the same for me in that it was a Valentine's card for Colin that got me into stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are here cause I've enjoyed getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You discovered boys after your exams? That's where I went wrong LOL. Hence no uni for me :-(
    I have enjoyed seeing all the different answers to this blog hop around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed reading about how stitching became part of your life!

    ReplyDelete