Thursday, 6 March 2014

Stitching diary

One of the things I have started doing since the start of the year is keeping a stitching diary.  I bought a 5 year diary and note in it each day how much time I spent working on which project and what details I manage to complete.  It's interesting to see how many hours' work go into each piece.  I usually only stitch in the evenings once the boys are in bed so it's easy to complete as well before I go to bed each night.

In January I spent 60 hours stitching but only managed 39 hours in February.  I had 3 finishes in Feb though compared with 1 in January.  I am hoping to get on track to finish all of my CJC pieces by the end of the year.

Here's an update on what I've been stitching on recently:

Bothy Threads Cut Thru' North Pole House (started 29/8/13)

I have now finished most of the backstitching on the first floor (second floor to US readers!) and have got the ground floor and the sea left to finish.  I love working on this as it's so colourful.

Bothy Threads Cut Thru' Pirate Ship (started 6/1/14)

There must be frogs underneath the ship as they've been visiting quite a lot!  This is a piece I work on every Wednesday along with Jan.  Thankfully last night no frogs were spotted and I managed to finish the crow's nest, the bird and telescope and the flags at the back of the ship.  You'll see what I mean when I get to the backstitching.

And finally for now an update on this:

Lanarte Forks and Spoons (started 3/1/14)

I stitched my first spoon!  Just got to add a bit of backstitch detail.  There isn't much so I'll leave it all until the end.

Now I'm off to complete a wishlist to add to my blog.  Shirlee suggested that every stitcher should have one.  She doesn't want a mention on anyone's blog but I think it's such a good idea that I am passing it on.  It's just another way of enabling us to buy more stash!

I've also been working on one of my WIPocalypse pieces and a prize or two for Bekca who won my giveaway recently, but I'll save those for another time.

Now I'm off to customise elder son's Peter Pan costume for World Book Day celebrations tomorrow, by adding felt leaves to the tunic top.  Not my favourite kind of sewing but I'm sure I'll manage!

Until next time

Justine

17 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

I really like your idea of a stitching diary! I think I should start one, I feel I'm always stitching but I'm a bit slow maybe.. this would be a great way to find out :) Lovely update on your projects. I can't wait to see the spoons coming together, it's such a great design.

Melinda said...

I love your stitching diary. Nice to look back over the past year, and see what projects took what time - and other things. Great to have three finishes in February.
Peter Pan is one of my favorites

Dani - tkdchick said...

I love the idea of tracking everything in a journal! I'tll be interesting to see your stitching trends.

Kristin said...

I like the cutaway pieces. They are really cute. Love your fork and spoon I may have to go and seek that one out. I have tried unsuccessfully to keep a journal several times but I may try to start logging hours. I think it would be interesting to see how much time is spent on stuff.

SoCal Debbie said...

Your North Pole House is amazing! I love seeing all the details! Great progress on your Pirate Ship too! I added your pics to the SAL page, http://debbiescrossstitch.blogspot.com/p/bothy-threads-cut-thru-sal.html

How big will the Forks & Spoons be? I see some metallic floss accents too! This will be beautiful.

Linda said...

Wonderful progress on all the projects Justine. NPH is getting close to a finish. Are you going to do anymore of them?

Linda

Thank you. I received the charts today. Thank you so much and thank you to Joy. I love them.

Barb said...

Pirate ship is looking great. I do keep a diary of my pieces on my computer. I put down how many hours it took and who it went to. Only problem is I forget to transfer them on to a disk and when I get a new computer I loose them. Think I better buy some disks.

Zurainny Ismail said...

Keeping a stitching diary is wonderful and what a discipline! North Pole is looking fantastic - I love the colours! :D

Thoeria said...

I've never thought of a stitching diary before....hmmmm......interesting!
Your cut through house is looking really good.....love those bright colours!

Chris said...

Great progress on your projects, they look wonderful.
Great job logging your stitching time.

stitchersanon said...

Wow, the cut through North Pole is really coming on!

Katie said...

I keep track of what I stitch each day rather than hours. I don't want anyone to know how many hours I spend stitching they will think I don't get anything else done haha.

Love your stitching. The bothy thread patterns are addictive! I agree I love the bright colors too. Your ship is looking fantastic.

Pull the other thread said...

Great work on both your pieces. What a great idea to keep track of your stitching. I keep meaning to do that but I don't have the discipline.

Sally said...

Lovely progress on your WIPs. I used to keep a track of my stitching hours but I don't anymore.

Lynda said...

Great progress on all your WIPs!

Julie said...

The Cut thro is such a colourful project, I love watching these grow.
I've been making a note of my stitching hours since the beginning of the year too.

Shebafudge said...

Great stitching! Sorry about the frogs...I think I may have sent them :( Love the idea of keeping a record of how much stitching you get done - really good idea!