Thursday, 20 February 2014

HAED maths

I was thinking about my new HAED to come while on the train yesterday, as you do, and trying to work out how long it will take me. I like to have a target to work towards as it keeps me motivated through the tricky bits, but I want to work on lots of other things as well.

Here is the HAED I have bought in case you haven't seen it before...

I remembered it was 600+ stitches wide by 400+ stitches wide. So roughly 24,000 stitches, right? Working a block of 10x10 every week, which gives me plenty of time to stitch on other things, it will be finished in about 5 years. All good so far?

Erm, no. 600 x 400 is not 24,000 but 240,000. Add on the actual stitch count and that increases to 282,500 stitches. Stitching a 10x10 square every week, it will take me approximately 55 years to complete.

I'm 42 years old. As they say, you do the math.

Justine

13 comments:

  1. Lol that would be a very long time to work on a chart. If it helps your calculations I normally manage a 10x10 block in about 40 mins or so if it's confetti crazy, less if it's block colour. That time frame is with gridding and parking. It does take longer for the starting blocks as I have to start all the threads. I am often daunted by the size of Autumn, which has 349,375 stitches :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I'm sure you'll be able to manage more than one 10x10 a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) just enjoy stitching ...there is no math when cross stitching plans are made ;) they always go beyond our limits and we cannot control the urge of starting new projects every time. You very well know to prioritize the ones you want to desperately get completed. And who knows, you might be able to stitch for >100 years:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Yup, I've done that math, too. That's why the two I have are only little ones... you know, only 189,000 stitches instead of 282,000! ; ) It will only take 8 years if you do a 10x10 block a day! : )

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to think about it Justine with all these HAED charts I have :D hehe! Maybe we could race bookshelf vs bookshelf! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that is absolutely perfect Justine...when you finish it you can gift it to me for my 100th birthday! I might work out how long it's going to stitch my HAED now...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy stitching, for the rest of your life! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for my chuckle for the day Justine. I think you could manage a few more stitches a day than that. Every time I plan on stitching like that, it never works.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think about it, just stitch it lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These HAED charts will be the death of all of us! haha :) I know you'll manage somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are so funny. Awe you ride a train? how cool is that. I vote for starting it and every time you stitch on it only think of the joy it brings you. WOW all tose stitches really??? I thought my Ann Dale was huge - only 65,000 stitches:)
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck stitching this Justine! It's a lovely chart. I haven't stitched on my HAEDs for a while now. Really need to get back to my Robin though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is scary.... so I am not even going to think about it!!!
    Just stitch and enjoy :o)

    ReplyDelete