Thursday, 6 February 2014

Another finish!

Please be upstanding for my latest finish...

January's Snowdrop
Cottage Garden Samplings
Stitched on 32 count Permin Linen French Lace
with recommended WDW, GAST and DMC threads

I absolutely loved loved loved stitching this.  Every stitch was a pleasure.  I made a little alteration and had my first go at "designing" by changing the birds at the bottom of the piece from Red Cardinals (which I have never seen in the UK) to something that looks a bit more like a Robin.

Now I've photographed it I can see some little ends showing through the linen (see by the reindeer's back leg or on the border on the left).  What do you all do to get rid of them?

I think I am going to finish this one up as a pillow, and when I've done all twelve display them together in a basket in my craft room.  What do you think?

I have really enjoyed reading the answers to these sewing questions on lots of different blogs.  Mine are here: (shamelessly pinched from Jan's blog)

1)      Which fabric do you most prefer?  Linen is my favourite but I like to use aida and evenweave too for variety.

2)      What is your favourite fabric count? 32 count.

3)      What colour fabric do you most enjoy stitching on?  Ivory/white/natural

4)      What is your favourite fibre? I have only ever stitched with cottons so I would have to say cotton.

5)      How many of the 450 DMC Colours do you own? About 200, all neatly wound on bobbins.

6)      Of your last five finished projects—how many used DMC/Anchor as the main floss?  Two.

7)      Of the last five projects, if you didn’t use DMC/Anchor—what did you use? Weeks Dye Works, Crescent Colours and Gentle Arts Sampler Threads.

8)      What needles do you prefer?  I keep changing my mind.  I have used Permin 26 gold-plated needles for years but also like Bohin 26 petites.

9)      What is the UGLIEST design you’ve encountered?  Personally I'm not a fan of patterns of cats and dogs and I think some of them can look quite ugly.

10)   What is the most BEAUTIFUL design you’ve encountered? There are too many to mention!  I really like this one from Scarlet Quince but not sure I have the patience to stitch it...



11)   Who is your favourite designer?  Lizzie*Kate, Cottage Garden Samplings, Bothy Threads and lots more!

12)   Least favourite designer?  I don't want to name names but I met a designer once at a sewing fair and she was really rude so she would be my least favourite one.

13)   Will you/would you support a designer whose personal beliefs offended/angered you?  I wouldn't necessarily know about a designer's personal beliefs but I have never bought anything from the designer "mentioned" in the previous question so I would have to say no, I wouldn't support them.

14)   Do you have a lamp especially made for needleworkers/crafters? No but I have just started using a cheap LED floor lamp and it has made a massive difference to my stitching (much neater) and my eyes!

15)   What brand of stitching lamp do you have/prefer?  I bought the lamp above from Ikea.

16)   What kind of environment best suits you when you are stitching?  I stitch on the sofa, with my legs up to the right and using the left arm of the sofa to balance my chart on.  I would love to have an old lady-type armchair and footstool though.

17)   Have you stitched any design more than once?  No and I don't think I could, unless it was something very quick like a Lizzie*Kate.

18)   Favourite design you have stitched and finished? Always the last one I have stitched!  I think this one has to be one of my favourites just because I have really happy memories of stitching it while waiting for my first son to arrive!



19)   Least favourite design you’ve stitched and finished?  I stitched one for my brother years ago which was a skeleton on a motorbike from one of the Discworld novels and I didn't enjoy it one bit!

20)   Last, but not least, what’s your longest running WIP? Dimension's Holiday Village that I started in 2008 and this is as far as I've got with it.....



Thanks for sticking with me through the questions and welcome to my new followers!  I am still getting round to visit the blogs from the GYB party last week so I'm sure I will be paying you a visit soon.

Until next time

Justine

12 comments:

  1. Your CGS finish is lovely Justine!!! Love reading the answers to these questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on such a lovely finish! It was great learning more about your likes and dislikes :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finish! It's so pretty :)
    Loved reading your answers too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the great finish Justine. I would just cut the tails on the back shorter. Loved all the answers to the questions. Beautiful stitching.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super finish. Great answers to the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowdrop is SO pretty. Enjoyed reading about your stitching thoughts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to read your answers! I love that Scarlet Quince design - I imagine it would take a while that have never stopped me before. Lovely new finish too. I think just trying trim the threads really close with really sharp scissors might help the ends. I have found starting the thread with the loop method reducing the little tails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finisn is so pretty Justine. Wish I'd thought of changing the cardinals to robins when I did mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading your questions and answers and getting to know you a bit better! Your robins look great and so does your stitching! I think your favorite piece looks great, is it hanging in your son's room?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these flower designs and really want to get the whole set. it was really interesting to read your answers; this year I am hoping to finish a piece I started for my daughter's nursery, I must get it done before she turns 18 in December!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I've just read this same post on Lili's blog! You have some great answers to the questions. It's always fun to read about people's thoughts on stitching.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ps if I send you a bribe will you name the rude person? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to say, with the ends which are showing I would wait until I was ready to frame it and trim them very close. When stitching on a similar fabric in future I would make sure I wove them under existing stitches a little bit more than usual to ensure they stay under.
    This is is gorgeous design and worth taking the time over the finish! Can't wait to see how you frame it.

    ReplyDelete