Saturday, 14 December 2013

Advent Blog Hop - it's the 14th!

Welcome to Day 14 of the Advent Blog Hop hosted by Jo at Serendipitous Stitching.  Without further ado, may I open the door of the advent calendar and present my stitching...



There is a story behind this piece which makes it very special to me.  I was away from the church for many years.  When my children were born my faith was reborn and  being a stitcher I wanted to make something special to show the true meaning of Christmas.

I found this chart in an old issue of Cross Stitcher and duly stitched all the figures on plastic canvas as recommended.  The background was to be downloaded from the magazine website.  Unfortunately, when I'd finished my figures I found to my horror that the background was no longer available (it was quite an old magazine).  So I asked my Dad to paint one for me.  He is the artistic one in our family.  I think it came out pretty well.

It means all the more to me because my Dad is not in the least bit religious, but he put much love and care into painting this picture for our collaboration.  I know it will be a family heirloom as my boys love it too.

Jo asked us for a story about Christmas food traditions.  We are none of us very good or enthusiastic cooks so I have a funny story to share instead.  When I was still living at home with my parents, I had a temporary job one Christmas in a bingo club.  All the customers were given frozen turkeys as prizes in the run up to Christmas, and as there were some left over, the staff members were allowed to take one home each on Christmas Eve.  Me and my friends had decided to go out for a drink after work that night, so we took our turkeys out with us.  My mum was not pleased to be woken up at midnight by a drunken daughter and a part-defrosted 10lb turkey!

Thank you Jo for allowing me to join your blog hop.  I'm finding new blogs and really enjoying seeing everyone's stitching.  I hope you all have a happy, peaceful and meaningful Christmas.

Justine

13 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part, your 3D nativity is beautiful especially with your Dad's artwork. Much nicer than a mass-produced backdrop.

I am laughing at your turkey story! Did you sit the turkeys all in a row with party hats on while you were out? Thanks for the giggles on that one.

stitcheranon said...

Oh very good...love it..drunken daughter and turkey: very Brigitte Jones haha. I love the christmas stitching..I was thinking it looked very 3-d and now I know why. It is beautiful: traditional and modern (mixed media) all at the same time.

Barb said...

What a special piece. You did a good job on it and I'm sure your family will enjoy it for years to come.

Astrids dragon said...

Oh wow, that is so much better than something printed out on the computer! It will be a treasure to keep forever, it's beautiful.

Did the turkey get "seasoned" too?!

Carolyn Nye said...

Justine,
That piece is stunning! Your stitching is beautiful and your Dad did an awesome job on the painting...LOL...love your turkey story...Thank you for sharing.
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

cheryl said...

I love your beautiful Christmas stitching and the story that goes along with it. Happy Holidays!

EvalinaMaria said...

I absolutely love your Nativity piece! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Julie said...

Justine, your nativity stitching and dads background is so wonderful.

Jan Gartlan said...

Wow you stitched nativity is amazing! How precious you have your Dad's work-of-art in it also. Fun story too

gracie said...

A treasured stitchery for sure.

Vickie said...

You know what? That is a waaay better background than the printed off one. How very, very special.

Gillie said...

Mm, think I would have agreed with your mum! Well done your dad!

geeky Heather said...

That Nativity piece is awesome, and I adore the background your dad painted. That's a treasure for sure. I am also curious as to how the turkeys came along...were they well "basted" by the end?